Tuesday, January 26, 2010

It's a Girl! Now, what to call her? (B)

Jocelyn and I had a GROW study appointment yesterday and therefore a bonus ultrasound. Baby is doing really well and we found out that we're having a girl! Is it too early to buy a shotgun and sit out on the porch to fend off potential suitors?

No, really, is it?

The most major effect this has had on me is that I am now completely focused on names. I had been suppressing the urge until we found out what we were having but ain't no holding back any more. Today at lunch I found myself digging through the 1000 most popular names from 1950, 1955, and 1965 on the Social Security Administration's website. There's a method to my madness... I want a name that is classic but not overused. I figured looking back on "old times" (all apologies to those of you readers out there that I've just called old) would be a good way to start. If it's on one of those lists, if it's still around, and if it doesn't sound ancient, it's a candidate.

This is actually one of the most important decisions I've ever made in my life. And she isn't even born yet. I know every parent goes through this, but good gosh she's got to walk around with this name her entire life. Unless she wants to legally change her name to Miley somewhere down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment