Sunday, December 6, 2009

About those Ultrasound pictures (B)

Jocelyn and I had discussed briefly the possibility of twins, and that somewhere in her family there may be a set or two, but there was so much going on during the appointment that it wasn't until we were on the way out the door that we realized there was only one baby. Now, the conception was natural and we weren't going for our own reality series, but this is our first child and just one will do for now.

But back to the waiting room, where I am sure to spend some time over the next 7 months, while Jocelyn is being admitted into the GROW study... a process which consisted of drawing blood both practically and literally. The study representative came to get me and bring us into the ultrasound suite and then a funny thing happened. As she's indicating where we should go, she said rather casually: "Dad sits there" and gestured toward a chair. In spite of all the reading and mental preparation I have done (or thought I had done) I was almost not ready for that. It was the first time anyone had called me Dad. My Dad has always been Dad. Maybe I need to read a few more books, or get a Dad coffee mug or a Dad keychain.

Of course, now my Dad is going to be known as Grandpa. There are all sorts of connotations with that word, all having to do with - to put it kindly - increased maturity. On the assumption that he might not want to stare that in the face just yet, I think for now I'll spare him the coffee mug.

3 comments:

  1. WAY cool!

    And I think Soybean Roelofs is a great name; sort of rolls off the tongue. Nan wouldn't let me name our son Bozo Ball,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Brian, I'm already trying to prepare Dad for the Grandpa era approaching quickly. Everytime I'm at their house I show him my belly and he just smiles, a very unique smile. He doesn't have too much to say, which I supose is just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great you had your first DAD moment at the U/S appt! It takes a while to get used to the Mom and Dad titles. It still throws me off when I hear Mom and I think someone is talking about my Mom, but they are actually talking about me.

    ReplyDelete